Mayor's Task Force On Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Equality
The City of Jersey City aims to provide equal opportunity and affirmative action to its diverse employees, residents, and businesses.
On April 26, 2013, the City of Jersey City in conjunction with the Department of Administration, Offices of EEO/AA and other City officials, met with the Human Rights Campaign’s (HRC) Legislative Counsel for State and Municipal Advocacy, Ms. Cathryn Oakley. The HRC is the largest civil rights organization working to achieve equality for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) individuals and the meeting marks the City’s continued partnership in the advancement of Jersey City’s LGBT related programs.
City of Jersey City Programs, Partnerships, Resolutions & Cultural Activities which support and encourage the LGBT Community include, but are not limited to:
LGBT Quality of Life Initiatives
Civil Rights Initiatives
- Jersey City has received the highest score in the State of New Jersey from the Human Rights Campaign’s Municipal Equality Index since its inception in 2012 and received a perfect score of 100 points from the HRC for 2013, 2014, and 2015.
- Jersey City was ranked 8th among the top ten LGBT Friendly cities nationwide in 2014 by Nerdwallet.com
- Jersey City was ranked among the Top 10 Affordable Gay friendly neighborhoods by CNNMoney.com
- The Office of the Mayor, The Office of the City Council, The Jersey City Division of Cultural Affairs and the Jersey City Police Department were recipients of Hudson Pride Council’s Vital Voice Award for their service to the LGBT community.
- Jersey City co-sponsors Annual LGBT Pride Diversity Festival and Annual Raising of LGBT Pride Rainbow Flag at City Hall.
LGBT Social Service Initiatives
- The Mayor and Municipal Council have annually issued Proclamations and Resolutions in support and recognition of LGBT Equality and Pride
- Mayor Fulop has supported marriage equality long before it became legal in New Jersey and joined the group Mayors for Marriage by signing a pledge immediately upon assuming office in 2013.
- Same sex marriages are performed at municipal facilities by statutorily authorized municipal officials
- The City of Jersey City offers Equal Health& Pension Benefits for LGBT municipal employees that are registered in Domestic Partnerships.
- The Jersey City Police Department is the first Police Department in the state to establish a LGBT Police Liaison Officer.
- The Office of the Mayor has a designated LGBT Community Liaison who also serves as the Mayor’s representative on the Mayor’s LGBT Task Force
- The City of Jersey City coordinates with local community businesses in fundraisers and hosting events involving non-profit LGBT civil rights organizations that promote diversity and acceptance through education and awareness, such as The Matthew Shepard Foundation, Gay Men’s Health Crisis, Lambda Legal of NJ, CondomNation and Garden State Equality.
- Jersey City holds year-round Diversity/Sensitivity/Sexual Harassment Training for Municipal Employees and promotes school district wide Anti-Bullying Training
- Jersey City actively recruits LGBT individuals to serve within municipal agencies such as the JC police and fire departments.
- Partners with Jersey City-based Hudson Pride Connections Center on various social service initiatives, including their Community Outreach Events, HIV Testing/Counseling Activities and LGBT Youth and Senior Programs.
- Promotes additional equality awareness efforts by partnering with other NJ-based LGBT organizations such as the African-American Office of Gay Concerns, NJ Lambda Legal and Garden State Equality.
- The JC Department of Health & Human Services' Division of Health promotes the Mayor's AIDS Task Force which provides HIV education, awareness and testing as well as treatment services and referrals.
- Jersey City also receives federal funding via Hudson County to assist people living with HIV/AIDS with their housing needs through the Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA) program.
LGBT Community Organizations and Resources
For further information on the City’s LGBT programs, please contact:
Mayor’s Liaison to the LGBT Community
280 Grove Street, Room 213
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Jersey City Department of Human Resources
Mark Bunbury, Jr., Esq.
Office of Equal Opportunity
280 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ, 07302
Jersey City Police Department LGBT Liaison
Det. Phil Raleigh
Office of the Chief of Police
1 Journal Square Plaza
Phone: 201-547-5831; Cell:201-320-5808